Using Commercial Hair Products While On The WOHW Method (Water Only Hair Washing)
So, I get asked on a frequent basis, whether commercial products can be used while on the Water Only Hair Washing Regimen? The short answer to this is “YES” you can absolutely use commercial products within reason. As you know I absolutely do not use commercial products of any kind (pre-mixed hair products are what I mean by commercial products). I prefer using plant and food base products on my hair. When I decided to forego commercial products in favor of products I can eat, and grow myself (I know what’s in them). Choosing the water only hair washing method is meant to make your hair life easier and cost-effective. Simplicity is the key. Hair shouldn’t be difficult to manage and definitely shouldn’t cost a ton of money.
Most commercial hair products have so many ingredients in them you don’t know which product is doing what for your hair. However, although plant base, food base products are my choice, I am not suggesting that those of you who are new to this method can’t use a more natural commercial hair care product. I would however suggest trying to find a natural equivalent to whichever product you want to use.
There are plenty of natural products you can use to help supplement your lack of sebum: ALL natural hair butters and oils are acceptable on the water only hair washing method (butters are preferable to the oils, because they will not rinse out as easily as the oils, allowing the sebum to mix easily with it. Oils, in my “opinion” are best used for cleaning the excess sebum, although if you use very little oil, you will be fine).
If there is no equivalent product (such as hair conditioner or even shampoo) that you can use or want to use, my suggestion would be to make sure you dilute the product and test it on a small section of hair before committing to the entire head of hair. This is totally up to each person. Customize this method to fit your personal needs.
A List Of The Natural Products I Have Used As A Shampoo & Conditioner:
- Shampoo & conditioner- Amla Powder (Use when you have medium, full to excessive sebum coverage)
- Shampoo & conditioner-Henna (Use when you have medium, full to excessive sebum coverage, not a light amount) Using henna when you have a light amount of sebum can and mostly likely strip your sebum entirely.
- Shampoo & conditioner- Cassia Powder (Use when you have medium to full sebum coverage)
- Shampoo & conditioner- Aritha Powder (Use when you have medium to full amount of sebum)
- Shampoo & conditioner- Aloe Vera (Use when you have a very light amount of sebum coverage. Aloe Vera gel is very gentle and will only remove a small layer of sebum while also conditioning your hair) Aloe Vera gel can also be used as a leave in conditioner while on the WOHW method.
- Shampoo & conditioner- Hibiscus (Use when you have light sebum coverage. Hibiscus conditioner is very gentle and will only remove a small layer of sebum while also conditioning your hair) The liquid left over from boiling the flowers and leaves can also be used as a leave in conditioner while on the WOHW method.
- conditioner- Bananas (fresh or the baby food) Use when you have light sebum coverage. Removes a very small amount of sebum and adds incredible shine. “This is my go to conditioner for when I want shine.”
- Conditioner-Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with distilled water (Use when you have light sebum coverage).
- Shampoo & conditioner-Cactus Pads (Prickling Pear) This shampoo/conditioner can be used on light to medium sebum coverage. This is one of the most amazing natural products that can also be eaten as well as used for a softening/cleansing hair product.
- Shampoo & conditioner fermented Rice Water (Use when you have a very light to medium sebum coverage).
- Shampoo & conditioner – Cactus-Fenugreek (Use when you have a very light to medium sebum coverage). This absolute favorite conditioner to date!
Every conditioner and shampoo I list above, I have tried. They are all very good alternatives to shampoos and or conditioner (in my opinion). It’s been 18 months of water only hair washing, and I have been commercial product free. My hair is grows pretty fast without any real effort on my part. I simply keep it clean and moisturizer (I follow all the water only hair washing steps). I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS METHOD.
What Natural Products Are You Using?